Tuesday 28 September 2010

Regrets, I've had a few

Thinking back, the one that sticks in my mind is our first ever dining club at Zeen on Drummond Street.

Being fairly naive at this stage, we duly looked up the place online for reviews and recommendations. The one we all saw was the mention of the 'amazing soft shell crab'.

Well, of course we all thought that sounded yummy and hey, why not try it? Dining club is the perfect time to try new stuff.

In the end we all ordered it as a starter and I admit, for a second I worried if all of us having the same thing was a mistake, but how bad could it be?

So, our mouths watering, it arrived. And it was a crab. A whole, little crab, all it's head and legs intact like a deep fried spider, since of course it has a soft shell so you eat it all, and we had to eat it...

Of course we all balked 'I can't eat THAT!' 'OH MY GOD'. We did try, but it wasn't great. I definitely couldn't eat it looking like that and had to mash it up so it didn't look like a crab. It was tasty, yeah, but I couldn't get the image out of my head and it really put me off. Now I know I can't separate looks from taste!

So soft shell crab is not for me. I knew I should have gone for the chicken tikka ;-)

1 comment:

  1. The thing about Zeen was although the food wasn't amazing (it was good though, don't get me wrong), we still had a really good night. The problem was that I think we were slighty more rowdy than the clientele they were used to. Not that we were unruly or anything, we were just laughing a lot and talking quite loudly. I remember a couple that we were sat quite near to ended up moving tables...

    I thought the soft shell crab was ok, I would eat another one, but I just wasn't impressed by it at all. If you're going to repress your distaste for eating something that looked like that (my urge was to take the shell off) then you'd want it to taste nicer...

    ReplyDelete